Friday, July 11, 2008

Afternoon Theater

Friday 7/11/08
12:52 p.m.

The professor and Mary Anne, I mean, the professor and I took a trip to Baxter Ave. Theaters the other day to see Will Smith's latest box office smash, Hancock.



Like most movie goers, we each got a snack before entering the theater. The professor got the most exotic treat one could possibly nosh on, pop-corn. I, on the other hand, chose a more boring and generic snack of sushi. That's right all you anal retentive people out there in movie land. I snuck outside food into the theater. Don't act like you've never done it before.

When I was in high school every time we would drive to the big city of Jackson to watch a movie (Plaza Twin Cinema was the only movie theater in Yazoo City. Twin = 2 screens = old school = you're ass may get cut or shot = don't go there.) we would swing through the Chik-fil-A drive-thru and pick up a pack of nuggets (This was before I stopped eating chicken, so sit down Pam Anderson). And when I lived in Telluride, we would take anything from spaghetti to salad to a piece of cake to snack on. So yes, I snuck in sushi. And I would like to apologize to the staff at Baxter for spilling soy sauce on the floor. It was an accident and I promise it won't happen again. Well, at least I will try not to let it happen again. Now on to my review of the movie.

Hancock is great (this is my opinion). I'm not going to go into great detail, as I don't want to spoil it for those of you who have yet to see the film. Will Smith plays the lead role of Hancock, an alcoholic superhero who tends to cause as much trouble as he tries to prevent. Even though he's a superhero, people don't really treat him as if he is heroic. They yell at him, ridicule him and call him names, asshole being the one that enrages him the most. But everything changes the day he comes to the rescue of one of my all time favorite actors (no, not Paul Rudd), Jason Bateman.

I think I first fell in love with Jason when he was on the Hogan Family. Do you remember that show? Valerie, the mom, had trouble with her husband who was a pilot and was never around.



And Jason was the oldest, studly son of the family who all the girls loved. Then there were two twin boys. One was a dork and one was kind of bad. Then they killed off the mom and some other lady named Sandy came in. Anyway, he was a hot stud and I was in love.

Then he really showed his action chops in the greatest sequal in the history of sequals - Teen Wolf Too. And yes grammar police, it is "Too" not 2. Don't question me.



But my absolute favorite show in the whole wide world that got cancelled because it was simply too brilliant and over the heads of all of the dimwits out there who would rather spend their evenings watching The Bachelor, the Real World Douchebag City, or Gossip Girl - Arrested Development. I mean come on. Where else are you going to see a never-nude who is an understudy for the Blue Man Group, a family that lives in a model home in which the patriarch resides in the attic unbeknowst to most of the family, a frozen banana stand and "The Final Countdown" playing every time Gob does a magic trick? Nowhere. How could it get cancelled? How? Who did this? Wait. What was this post about? Oh yeah, Hancock.



So anyway, Jason Bateman's character is a publicist who tries to change Hancock's negative image into something more positive. He wants people to think of him as a real hero.


The uber-hot babe, Charlize Theron, plays Bateman's wife. There is an interesting twist with Hancock and wifey, but I will keep that under wraps.


Although critics have mixed opinions on this film(see below),I give it two thumbs up. It made me laugh (a lot) and it even made me cry. Actually, I think there were just some raw onions in my sushi and that's why my eyes were watering. Yeah, that's it.
"This film is the equivalent of being tone deaf. Don't get me wrong, I think Will Smith is an entertaning actor but this film, as is, does not work. Hence, the panic I was reading on the executives faces after the screening. This film is not as dark as it thinks it is and not as funny as it thinks it is. It's right down the middle and that's a dangerous place to be. IRON MAN got the tone right. The DARK KNIGHT knows exactly what it wants to be. HANCOCK is going into the most competitve summer season since the glorious summer of 1989 Half-Cocked."
"It’s a balls out hilarious movie. Bateman is as dryly hilarious as ever, and Smith gets in quite a few laughs (usually at the expense of others in the earlier parts of the film). Few actors can manage to get a laugh out of throwing a 10 year old kid into the stratosphere, but for Smith it’s practically second nature (not the kid throwing, the ‘easy laugh’ing). Even if you hate the twist, there are still at least unrelated laughs to enjoy for the rest of the film."

So, if you haven't seen Hancock yet, you are pretty much a loser. Go see it.

Next review: Hellboy II: The Golden Army

No comments: