Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Weekend Update: Friday

Tuesday 3/18/08

My friend Chris picked me and Laura (his date) up around 6:30 and we headed downtown to the ghetto for a wedding. The wedding wasn’t ghetto, just the location.



It was a Catholic wedding, which normally means you better get ready to hang out for a while. But luckily for us non-Catholics a mass was held before the wedding and we were in and out of there in 30 minutes or less. Next stop – free booze and food, oh and getting to meet lots of people I’ll never see again and shake hands and smile and all that good stuff.

The reception was held at the Mellwood Arts & Entertainment Center. This is a really cool place, and being the undiscovered artist that I am, I am surprised I have never been there before. So, as I expected, I met a lot of people and smiled until I could feel the wrinkles starting to form.



But it wasn’t as uncomortable as I thought it would have been. I’m sure the fact that everyone was drunk had nothing to do with it at all. So, good food, good music, good people, good times.

But not everything was good this evening. While everyone else is dancing around, sipping on their champaigne or munching on their brie, I was having a small freakout session. Now, this is not something that happens often. In fact, there is pretty much only one thing that can cause me to go into total panic mode. And that thing is… Mississippi State sports.



I’m not really sure who planned this wedding or who thought it would be a good idea to get married during March Madness. But if I ever find out who it was, well, you don’t want to know. (Okay, I know that is a totally lame threat, but I’m actually feeling quite jovial today, so I don’t want to bring or wish harm upon anyone.) Luckily I have lots of nice friends who know what a totally nut case Bulldog fan I am and they kept me updated. It’s a close game. A nail biter. A barn burner. A, um, a… it’s a close freakin’ game. We’re up with a second or two left...I'm waiting for my next text... We won right? It's over! Is it over? No...Overtime. Great. Overtime. Why is this happening? I have no idea what’s going on. I can’t see if we’re playing a good game or a horrible game. And now overtime. What next? A tornado’s going go hit the building?

So, what happened next? Yep, a tornado hit the Georgia Dome. What are the odds of this happening? Really, I want to know. If any of you out there reading this have the statistics on what the odds are of a tornado hitting the Georgia Dome during the SEC tournament while two rivals, MSU and Bama, are playing in overtime and while the number one super fan is miles away at a wedding reception with no tv and no idea what’s going on, please tell me. What are those odds?

The game was delayed and people were evacuated. The sky is falling and everyone is going nuts. They finally let the players return (safely, thank God) to the court and finish the game. And the coolest team in the world walked away with a 2 point victory and a new found appreciation for life.

Now that I no longer have to check my cell phone every 60 seconds for updates, I am free to enjoy the reception. Yes, I think I will have another glass. Why not 2 more.



So, I indulge in a few complimentary beverages and I carry my happy little ass out onto the dance floor. Oh, I almost forgot. The singer of the band looked just like Sylvester Croom – MSU’s football coach. I think that was some kind of a sign.



The band played on and we danced until we couldn’t dance any more. Or really we danced until around 2:00 when the band stopped playing.

So, we drive back to town – soberly - and go to a friends house to keep the party rolling. And the party rolled on and on and the dancing never stopped. Well, actually, I think we stopped dancing around 5 or so. And after a quick cab ride the night had come to an end. It was a terrificly fun evening, but all I know is, I do not like the sound of birds merrily chirping at 6:00 in the morning.

No comments: