Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Weekend update: Saturday

Today I thought it would be a nice change to get in bed at the same time I normally wake up for work. And there is nothing more soothing to lull you to sleep than the sounds of birds chirping outside your bedroom window (cue lullaby music). I settled in with hopes of sleeping until at least noon. But unfortunately, not everyone shared that dream. Around 10:30 I was awakened by maybe my least favorite sound in the entire world – chocolate lab toenails tapping across a hardwood floor. Why, God (or whomever you choose to question), why? I hit her in the head and kick her in her fat gut. I cuss at her and tell her I hate her. But does she leave? No. She just stands there panting and rubbing her snotty nose on me. Fine. I’m up. Surely I can function on four hours of sleep, right?

After feeding my child, I have to feed myself. Starbucks here I come.



I have my usual Grande iced Americano and contemplate the day’s activities. In the front of my mind I am planning on going to the gym before partaking in the day’s activities – St. Patty’s parade and SEC basketball. However, in the back of my mind, I am laughing hysterically, knowing that this will never happen. I get home, put on my gym clothes and sit there. Okay. I can go to the gym. I know I can do it. But then I will have to rush home to get ready for the parade and I really don’t want to rush. No problem. I’ll just go running instead. So, I get ready to run, go outside, it’s raining. Damn. Okay. I won’t run. I go next door to see if Laura wants to do a work out video. She doesn’t. I look outside. Rain stopped. Okay, run it is. I go back home to grab my ipod. Go outside. Raining again. God doesn’t want me to run obviously. So, I go back inside, move the coffee table and pop-in my hip-hop cardio video.



45 minutes of non-stop funk was exactly what I needed to get my day going. Next to the MTV Grind workout video I used to do, these were maybe the sweetest moves I’ve ever learned. Next time you see me out at O’sheas, be prepared to witness something amazing.

After breaking it down to the ground, I showered and got decked out in my finest green attire to head to the parade. It’s raining, so we opt to have some green beer at one of the local Irish bars. I’m running on fumes at this point and I’m wet. I walk into a sea of drunken college kids and it takes everything I have not to grab a bagpipe and stick it up one of their kilts.



But, I refrain, find my friends and grab a beer. The first few sips went down pretty smoothly. However it took me about an hour to finish the rest of it. Annoyed by the obnoxious yells of frat guys trying to get their shams rocked, we decided to brave the rain and check out the parade. After about 5 minutes and no candy or beads, we move along to the next destination, The Outlook Inn.

It’s actually pretty quiet at The Outlook. We grab a table and a couple more drinks and all is well with the world. Oh, there was one dude who exited the Inn with a puke stained t-shirt. And another guy looked like one of his eyeballs was about to pop out. Oh and then there were a few interesting dreadies there, one of whom is supposedly called the “Space Cowboy”, but other than that it was pretty tame. So, I stayed there until 5:30 or so and then headed home to deck out in MSU gear.

After a quick change I rode over to watch the UT game with “Tiger” (I like to give people code names to protect their identity. When asked what this person would like their code name to be, they replied “Tiger.” I refer to this person by another code name; however, I will keep that to myself and those I talk about this person with).




So that stupid traitor Gary Ervin and that other guy who always looks like he has nose hair hanging out of his nostrils win the game and UT loses.





Wah wah wah. So with that… I’m out the door and headed to Dundee to watch the real game of the evening – Bulldogs vs. Bulldogs.

I walk in to Dundee, which is sort of like my Cheers, if you will, to see my friends waiting for me at the bar.



Who else do I see when I walk in? The Boycotter. Talk about an unexpected surprise. This is a place where I go two, maybe three times a week. I’m friends with the bartenders there and I’m friends with the owner. The only time I have ever seen the Boycotter there was when he went with me to watch a football game back in the day. So, I walk over to greet him. Awkward. He’s sitting at a table with three girls and one other guy. I’m pretty sure he’s “with” one of the girls, so I don’t want to make things any more awkward than they are. One of the other girls was at the reception the night before, so I introduced myself and made small talk about that. When she asked, “Oh, you know [the Boycotter]?” I simply replied, “Yeah, we went to college together.” I could have said, “Oh yeah, he’s my ex-boyfriend,” but again, didn’t want to make it any more awkward.

So, I shake it off and join my friends at the bar. Shortly afterwards the Dentist (yes, another code name) and his buddies came up there to join us too. Having people there who care nothing about MSU sports, but are there to cheer with me felt good. What doesn’t feel good? Losing to a team that had already played earlier in the day. We lost. But I didn’t cry or throw a chair or break a bottle or anything. I finished my drink and headed over to the Pink Door with my friends.



We get there around midnight and seeing that we had already had a few cocktails throughout the day, it was time to get our dance one. Unfortunately for everyone, I did not break out my newly learned dance routine. However, my moves were still sweet. So we danced and laughed and danced some more. The Professor (code name) had a little too much to drink and decided that he wanted to get mad at me. So, he gets mad, yells at me, goes to dance and at some point leaves. By this time it is nearing 3, so we decide to head out as well.

Normal people would have gone home at this point and called it a night. But as you probably know, I’m not exactly “normal”. Actually, I am pretty normal. It’s the rest of the world that’s a little off. Anyway, a couple of my friends and I go back to one of their houses and pretend like we’re in college again. We listened to music, told some funny stories, laughed a lot, etc. Time flies when you’re having fun, right? Apparently so. As I look at the clock to check the time, I notice that it is almost 7:00. Great. So, not wanting to see the sunrise, we head out and are greeted by the sounds of my favorite little friends – those stupid birds.

No comments: