Thursday, July 26, 2007

Arrival of the parents

Thursday 7/26/2007
2:39 p.m.

My parents are coming to visit today. They will be staying at La'Jennifer Inn while they are in town. And while it makes me a little uneasy to have mom and dad in my house for 5 nights, I am extremely excited that they are coming to visit. And not just because my pantry and fridge will be fully stocked, I will get to enjoy dining out and my closet will be somewhat refreshed. I am looking forward to just spending time with them and catching up.

I spent a few hours cleaning my house last night. Not that they would really care if the house wasn't spotless. I just have a fear, and always have, that my mother is inspecting things. I also spent a good portion of the evening concealing any incriminating evidence that was lying around. Remember those days when she used to look under my bed, go through my bags and car, read my journals... I guess I gave her reasonable cause, but that was when I was young and stupid. I'm an adult now and I can do what I want damn it. Wow, that sure sounded childish.

They won't arrive until 7:00 or 8:00, so I really don't have to worry about entertaining them tonight. Besides, my dad probably just wants to sit around and watch Big Brother anyway. He's somewhat addicted to reality television. But the rest of the weekend is all planned.

Tomorrow night is the Fat Friday Gallery Hop. This occurs on the last Friday of every month. You hop on the trolley, which takes you to various art galleries and restaurants. Most stops include free wine and snacks, so by the end of the evening everyone is quite jolly.

I'm not really sure what we have planned for Saturday afternoon. I was going to volunteer at the climbing wall at the Forecastle Festival, but I don't know if they will be into "music, art, activism." De La Soul is headlining and I was really looking forward to being able to scream when they busted into "Jenifa Taught Me." " Breakfast - broke it fast, she was in my English class... Asked for notes, rocked my boat, Jenifa...oh!" Ahh... what a great song. Anyway, instead of rocking out to Prince Paul we will be rocking out to the Urban Jazz Coalition at the Jazz Factory. We took my dad there last year for his birthday, and that was the first time I've ever seen him drink a martini. He had 2, one of which he knocked over. It was quite entertaining to watch. I can only hope for a repeat performance.

As for the rest of their visit, I will leave it open. Who knows? Maybe they have become wild, crazy and spontaneous. Anything can happen.

No comments: