Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Running on empty.


Tuesday 7/24/2007
4:30 p.m.

I left work earlier to go to the post office, bank, etc. As usual, the little glowing reminder that I need to stop for a petrol injection was on. And as usual, I thought surely I could make it a few more miles. Gas in the Highlands is around $2.92. Gas in the ghetto is at least a dime more. So, being the ever cost conscious consumer, I thought I could make it back to the Highlands and save a few cents. So, I pass by the Chevron on 15th St. with the cold steel bars over the windows and the dark panhandler sitting on the newspaper dispenser, whom I kindly gave $1.25 to last week. I cruise past 14th St. And just as I cross 13th St., she starts to putter. Oh goodness. I kick her in neutral, praying that I can make it a few more blocks to the next gas station. Nope. I make it one more street over and ----------. She flatlined. Great.

Thankfully I wasn't far from work and my lovely co-worker was able to swing by the ever so safe Chevron and obtain a red-can's worth of gas to get me going again. I only had to wait 15 minutes or so. The air was nice and breezy and I got to finish reading a chapter of Tom Robbins' Skinny Legs and All.

Afterwards, I decided to go make the deposit in the Highlands. I took the package to my house, in order to leave it for the postman in the morning. And I had time to make a piece of toast with peanut butter and nutella. Mmmmmm...

Lesson of the day: Just because you once made it 40 miles after the yellow gas light came on, doesn't mean you can do it again. Fill her up.

No comments: