Thursday, October 4, 2007

I was totally deceived.

Thursday 10/4/2007
1:54 p.m.

Last night I accompanied the boycotter down to Waterfront Park on the harbor.

It was a beautiful night. The sky was clear, the breeze was blowing and a sense of excitement filled the air. As we approached the entrance we passed a bearded woman, a red headed clown, and a guy dressed in black and white stripes (who although looked like he was on stilts just had extremely long legs). He was bouncing around like sugar-filled little kid and spinning his his matching pinwheel, and unfortunately reminded me of the super-tall dready from Colorado. Later on in the evening he passed by us and he just so happed to have the same scent of b.o.

Inside the gates were graffiti artists spraying their craft on canvas, games of throwing darts at balloons and rolling a ball into a hole, and of course, lots of freaks. Cold beer and cocktails were on hand to quench our thirst. While bison dogs and black-bean wraps helped quiet our growling bellies. If the chill of the night became too much to handle, not to worry, there was a booth to buy t-shirts and hoodies as well.

Starting the night off with a bang was LCD Soundsystem. I thought it was the lsd soundsystem and had prepared myself for some scary stuff. However, I was very relieved to find out I was mistaken. It's never a good idea to spend hours watching things morph and melt, especially if it's a work night.



If you have never heard of or listened to this band, you are doing yourself a disservice. These guys are so much fun and full of spunk. James Murphy is the founder and lead singer of the band, and is also the co-founder of dance-punk label DFA Records. They have a very 80's sound, but not cheesy 80's. The good kind of 80's music that made me wish I was wearing spandex and high-top Reeboks. And I totally had the Mollie Ringwald, Breakfast Club dance moves coming out of me.

Backing the jolly front man was Al Doyle on the guitar, who also plays in the band, Hot Chip. Al kind of reminded me of Spike, Hugh Grant's character's roommate in Notting Hill.I think it was the hair.


Phil Skarich was keeping half the beat on bass, while Pat Mahoney was keeping the other half on the drums. And tickling the ivories was the hot little number that would make the boycotter's brother weak in the knees (he has a thing for Asian girls), Nancy Whang (hold the jokes please).


The Soundsystem had several guests join them on stage during their show, all of whom happened to be members of Arcade Fire. They rocked hard, brought the funk and cooled us down with a sweet song about New York, which was dedicated to Louisville because apparently, it's known as Little New York. This was news to me.

The hour flew by, because before I knew it they were playing their "last song." Even though it was my first time to see them and I'd only heard a few of their songs on WFPK, after last night's show, I would definitely say I'm hooked on LCD.

After a short break that was too long, a crazy religious video introduced the next band. FYI, Arcade Fire has nothing to do with video games or flames. Although, they did put on a smokin' hot show.




I'd listened to Arcade Fire a good bit, but I'd never seen them live. It's not too often Canadians frequent the city of Louisville. However, the moment I saw them in the skit on SNL with Rain Wilson, a.k.a. Dwight Schrute, they were cool in my book.


I wasn't really sure what to expect when they took the stage, surrounded by video screens and red lights. For all I knew it could be some wild sex show. Thankfully it wasn't. Let me tell you, I was blown away. This band is incredible. I have never seen a band that I so much wanted to be a part of in my life. Except for New Kids on the Block, that is...

When I was in 4th grade, me, 3 of my friends and one of their little sisters had our own New Kids on the Block group. I think we were the New Girls on the Block or something like that. We were so serious about this group though. We would have practice once or twice a week, learning choreographed dance moves and of course singing into a real microphone. Kelly was obsessed with Jordan and wouldn't let anyone else even think of being Jordan. Since her little sister was in the group, she was John, Jordan's brother. I was in love with Joey, so I got to sing his parts. Katie was Danny because she had dark hair, Faith ended up having to be Donnie. She was so pissed. I loved it though, especially when I got to sing "Please Don't Go Girl." Ahh... we were awesome. And after practice, Faith, Kelly and I would stick around and pretend we were Wilson Phillips. We would pick a spot in the living room and pretend like we were in the "Hold On" video.

Kelly had short hair, so she was the blonde. I had long auburn hair, so I was the red-head. And Faith got stuck being the fat one. Again, she was so pissed. Hahahahah. That's what you get for being skinny and beautiful. Again, we were awesome. Now what was I talking about....

Oh yeah. I want to be part of the Fire. I will learn any instrument I can if they will let me join. Sitar? Done. Electric washboard? Done. Steel drums? Done. Shakuhachi Flute? Done. Please, Arcade Fire, if you are reading my blog, let me join your band. And I also think I have a crush on Will Butler, the lead singer's little brother.

Here is the setlist for the amazing show they put on:

1. Black Mirror
2. Keep The Car Running
3. Neighborhood #2 (Laïka)
4. No Cars Go
5. Haïti
6. Une Année Sans Lumière ("We haven't played this song in a long time.")
7. My Body Is A Cage
8. Ocean of Noise
9. Intervention
10. (Antichrist Television Blues)
11. The Well And The Lighthouse
12. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
13. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
14. Rebellion (Lies)

Encore:
15. Windowsill
16. Wake Up

And here is some music to get you through the day.

Concert rating: *************; 2 thumbs and 2 big toes up.

Source: My ears

No comments: