Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What ever happened to...

Tuesday 10/23/2007
2:28 p.m.

What ever happened to B.J. Armstrong?

Oh my gosh, what a crush I had on this guy when I was in seventh grade. Of course he could never come close to measuring up to my real love, Regginald Wayne Miller, but he was definitely a close second.

Benjamin Roy Armstrong was selected by the Bulls in the first round of the 1989 Draft. He helped the team make it to the NBA finals in his first season and by his second season, they were the champs. And again the next year. And again the next year. When MJ retired in '94, B.J. stepped up his game, placing third in scoring on his team. This same year, he made it to his first NBA All-star game and once again led his team to the playoffs. The following season he ranked third in scoring again, behind Pimp Daddy Pippin and Tony Kukoc. I totally forgot about old Tony. I was going to suggest he be the next WEHT subject, but then I looked him up on Wikipedia and apparently he just retired last season. After Reggie retired I lost all interest in NBA. For all I know Magic Johnson is playing again.



Old Bennie Roy retired in 2000 and was hired as an assistant to Bulls General Manager Jerry Krause. Having replaced Paxson as the Bulls' starting point guard years before, Armstrong was himself replaced by Paxson as hire to the GM job in Chicago when Krause resigned in 2003. Damn. Payback is a bitch. Wasn't he one of the players on Double Dribble?

Armstrong remained with the organization as a scout for a couple of seasons, leaving in 2005. He was employed by ESPN as a basketball analyst.

So, where is he now? I don't know. Apparently he vanished after 2005. He's gone. No one knows. I called Chicago and they don't know. I was even in Chicago this weekend. I asked a lot of people where he was. They didn't know either.

Facts about B. Roy:
- He closed the 1997-98 season ranked 4th in NBA history in career three-point percentage (.424) (Guess who is number one - always and forever...)
- Played in 577 consecutive games between the 1989-90 and 1996-97 seasons, the 11th-longest streak in NBA history
- Led the NBA in 1992-93 in three-point percentage (.453)


Sources: Wikipedia.com
NBA.com

No comments: