Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ro-mo money

Thursday 11/1/2007
2:35 p.m.



I just want to give a shout out to my boy T. Romo and congratulate him on his fat pay increase. Tony, I know you read my blog religiously. Congrats! You deserve it. Call me later and we'll meet up or something. Oh, and thanks for the flowers. How did you know orchids were my favorite?

My fantasy QB just inked a six-year, $67.5 million contract extension this week.



"Those guys are in the stratosphere when it comes to good players, so if you try to live up to that, you're fighting a no-win situation," Romo said. "You take what you can and you learn from those guys, but you just have to be yourself and hope that one day you can be mentioned in the same breath as those guys."

While Romo has yet to deliver a playoff victory, he is now getting paid more than some Super Bowl quarterbacks. He is guaranteed $30 million over the next few years, including an $11.5 million signing bonus. He is also guaranteed to get a lot of ass as a result.

"This is a feel-good story sitting here today," Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. "In many ways, it's about an individual that just wouldn't take no for an answer."

Dissed in the 2003 draft, Romo made the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent, impressing coach Bill Parcells. In 2004, Quincy Carter's misfortune was Romo's good fortune.

Then last year, Romo became a household name while supposedly banging Carrie Underwood and leading the Cowboys to the playoffs. Through seven games this season, he leads the NFC with 16 touchdown passes and 1,984 yards. At 6-1, the Cowboys are tied with Green Bay for the conference's best record. And thanks to this stud, I am currently in the lead in my all girls fantasy league. I also have Peyton for a qb, but I usually start Romo.


(Even Peyton knows he's my number 2 QB)

My friend Faith gets so pissed because before our draft, she was saying how much she wanted Manning. It's not that I went behind her back to get him. He's a bad ass and I wanted him. I just think it's funny that he's sitting my bench when she would've been playing him. Faith, I'm really sorry. I'm also sorry that Leroy ate your green chair when we were in college. I'm sorry that we got in fights so much when we were little and I called you the devil. I didn't mean it. You were just a bitch.

"I don't think I've made it," Romo said. "Off the field in some ways, you live a little more comfortable life, but as far as making it, I mean, what did I set out to do? Are my goals to make a whole bunch of money? If that's the case, sure, I accomplished something, but that was never the intent when I started playing the game. The next step is always on the field. I don't think this in any way changes that."



How Romo ended up signing the second-richest contract in team history is a tale of perseverance, opportunity and luck.

As a free agent, Romo turned down better offers from other teams because he viewed the Cowboys as his best chance. He bet on himself last year when signing an extension that included a $2 million signing bonus, and he bet on himself again when he got involved in talks with his agent, Ken Kremer, and Stephen Jones last week.

"Everyone saying, 'You're our guy. You're the guy we want to go to the next level with when we get back to going to Super Bowls around here,' that means more than any money ever could," Romo said.

This ride almost never happened.

In 2004, Romo was the fourth quarterback in a four-man rotation behind Carter, who helped lead the Cowboys to the playoffs the previous year, Vinny Testaverde, a free-agent pickup, and Drew Henson, whom the Cowboys acquired in a trade from Houston and signed to a deal that included guaranteed money.

"You're not naïve to the situation," Romo said. "You understand the numbers and understand how everything is going. I was telling myself, 'If I'm supposed to be doing this for a living, then I'll be doing this and if I'm not, I'll still find a way to enjoy life and keep going.' "

The Cowboys released Carter on Aug. 4, making any decision they possibly had to make moot.

In 2004, Romo split time with Henson as the No. 2 quarterback. He won the backup job outright in 2005. After a 3-3 start with Drew Bledsoe as the starter last season, Parcells handed the job to Romo.

Since then, he has tied the Cowboys' record for touchdown passes in a game (five vs. Tampa Bay on Thanksgiving), earned a Pro Bowl spot, set a season record with four 300-yard passing games this year and been elected a captain by his teammates.

Most important, he has brought stability to a position that has been unstable since Aikman's retirement.

"Any perception of what we can be as a Super Bowl team at some point, Tony, for me, fits that role as the quarterback," Jones said.

"He's the man for the 2000s. The way he got here, his personality, all those kinds of the things, some of the way he has fun, the way he portrays that to our fans, all of those things made me on a personal basis and as an organization make this commitment."

Ahh, I love this guy. I was all about some Tom Brady, but Brady Shmady. Romo is the man. And if I hear one more person say Romo is a homo, you're going to know what it's like to really be a homo when I stick my foot in your ass. And yes, I am making threats. What are you going to do about it?

Source: Dallas News

No comments: