Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving update: The trip home

Monday 11/26/2007
10:30 a.m.

Welcome back my dear readers. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. If you are like me, you are a few pounds heavier and a lot more tired than when you left.

As most of you know, the boycotter and I went home to MS to visit my family for the weekend. The trip started off fairly well. We left Louisville around 1:30 anticipating the next 8 1/2 hours we would spend in the car. The ride wouldn't have been too bad had it not been raining the entire way and had Sidney not have filled the car with noxious fumes. Other than that, all was well. We were making pretty good time, considering the rain, which wasn't that bad either. However, the minute we crossed into MS from TN, the bottom fell out. It was raining cats and dogs. Really. I saw three Siamese kitties, two Chows and a Golden Doodle.




Rather than risk our lives by driving into the eye of a tornado, we opted to get a hotel in Southaven, MS for the night. If anyone is contemplating starting their own business, open a hotel that allows pets. It took us forever to find a place where my poor Sidney could sleep with us. Finally we found the Drury Inn.



Not only do they allow pets, this place still has smoking rooms. I didn't know those still existed. So, we got our room and then went to grab some grub so that we wouldn't have to brave the storm again.

Before picking which fast food chain was going to clog our arteries for the night, it was imperative that we stop by a liquor store first. If you know me, you know how terrified I am of storms. And after all of that time we had been in the car, I was in need of a stiff drink. So, we purchased the best bottle of Maker's they had and headed to Wendy's. Luckily I don't eat meat, so I don't have to worry about the high cholesterol and fat content of a side salad.




So, we made it back to the hotel safely, moved our luggage and big brown baby to our room and settled in for the night. Ahh...what could be better than drinking bourbon out of plastic cups and eating a salad on your bed? Nothing. After a few drinks and a puff puff pass, it was time to do what I normally do at that time - pass out.

No comments: