Friday, November 2, 2007

TGIF - Whatever happened to it?

Friday 11/2/2007
9:41 a.m.

If you were like me when you were a young pre-teen, you spent your Friday nights glued to the TV watching ABC's stellar sitcom line-up known as TGIF.



"It's Friday night and the mood is right. Come have some fun, show you how it's done... T-G-I-F."

Now that I look back on the lyrics to that song, it seems a little perverted. It's Friday night, you're all dressed up in your finest duds, looking sexy. The mood is right. Come on baby. Come on, let's have a little fun. Don't worry if you don't know what to do. I'll show you how it's done. And I'm not even going to go into what TGIF. could stand for. I can't believe my parents allowed me to watch such filth. Damn subliminal messaging.

Anyway, some of the greatest shows of all time came on during TGIF.


You had the sidesplitting hilarity of watching two distant cousins, Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous trying to live together without killing each other on Perfect Strangers.



I really liked this show because one of my best friends and his little brother looked just like Larry and Balki. To this day we still call them that. Ah, cousin Larry.

Then you had hotty Uncle Jessy on Full House.



Even though he had a mullet, he was still a fine looking man.

Following that stud was the delightful Mr. Belvedere.


What a great guy. I wanted a butler so bad just so I could have someone like Mr. B (not to be confused with Mr.Belding) living with me. He always had a valuable lesson to teach the kids. And then at the end of every episode he would write a little passage in his journal.


I've never told anyone this until now, but Mr.Belvedere is the reason I started writing. He's my true inspiration. He brings meaning to my life. He's my inspiration. I wanna have him near me. I wanna have him hear me sayin'... Okay. I'm done.

Others shows in the lineup included: Family Matters, Step by Step (also a great New Kids on the Block song), Going Places, High Honey, I'm Home, Baby Talk, Dinosaurs (not tha mama), Camp Wilder, Boy Meets World and Hanging With Mr. Cooper.

My all time favorite TGIF show, though, was Just the Ten of Us.


I mean, come on, how could you not love Coach Lubbock and his crazy crew. Obviously he and has wife had an excellent sex life because he had kid after kid after kid. Yes, a couple of them were hos, but what teenage girl isn't? I mean, really. Oh yeah, I wasn't. God, what kind of person do you people take me for?

I really miss sitting at home on Friday night watching fun-filled family programming. From this moment on, I vow to spend every Friday night for the rest of my life sitting on my couch watching TV. Oh wait, I kind of wanted to go to the Gallery Hop tonight. And I think I'm going to Bloomington, IN next Friday to see Umphrey's McGee. And the following Friday I have friends from out of town coming to visit, so they will probably want to go out. Then the Friday after that, I will be in Starkville, MS for the Egg Bowl and I'm sure we'll be going out to Dave's Darkhorse Tavern that night. But I may be able to stay at home the last Friday of the month. Maybe.

No comments: